Resources for Tenants

Know your Rental Rights

Ohio's Landlord Tenant Law permits a tenant who is current in rent to put rent in escrow with the Housing Court, if the tenant reasonably believes that the landlord is failing to comply with the duties in the Ohio Landlord Tenant law or is in violation of local housing codes. Ohio Revised Code 5321.07

Ohio Law protects tenants from retaliation. ORC 5321.02

If you live in a rental property built before 1978, your landlord is required to give you a written statement of any known lead conditions and a copy of a booklet on managing lead in the home. Here's the law. Here's where to complain. Or at US EPA Region V.

Follow these steps

  1. Document the problem with witness statements, medical records, photographs and other evidence of the conditions of the apartment.

  2. Notify your landlord in writing of the test results and any signs of chipping, peeling or deteriorating paint surfaces. Email or Text Message is a written notice. KEEP A COPY.

  3. Next: Report your complaint Cleveland’s Citizen Complaint Line. Dial 311 or

  4. If you live in Cleveland and landlord fails make the correction within a reasonable time not to exceed 30 days, contact Cleveland Housing Court and explain the situation to a Housing Court Specialist. Outside of the City of Cleveland, contact your local Legal Aid office for legal advice.

If you have questions, please call CLASH at 216-359-1060 or email to Our volunteers will respond as quickly as possible. NOTE that CLASH cannot give legal Advice.